Whether packing a lunchbox or preparing a light lunch, this mouth-watering sandwich filled with fresh herbs will be a hit with the whole family!
Makes: 4 portions
Preparation time: 15 minutes
• 1 baguette
• olive oil to drizzle
• 2 ripe avocados, halved and stones removed
• 45ml Italian parsley, chopped
• juice of 1 lemon
• salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 200g gorgonzola cheese, sliced
• 4 fresh figs, sliced
• fresh watercress
1 Place the bread on a clean work surface, slice it open and drizzle olive oil over the bottom half.
2 Mash the avocado in a mixing bowl and add the parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread a thick layer of this on the bottom half of the baguette.
3 Place the gorgonzola on top, followed by the fresh fig. Finally, sprinkle the watercress over and carefully place the other half of the bread on top. Cut the bread into thick slices to serve.
• Shred a cooked chicken and add finely chopped chives, Italian parsley and spring onions. You can flavour it with grated lemon rind and lemon juice, moisten it with good-quality mayonnaise and season with pepper. Use this as a filling for baguettes and a health bread sandwich or as a topping on toasted rye bread.
• Drain tinned tuna and mix with a hard-boiled egg, chopped onions, chives, bean sprouts and mayonnaise.
• Cut ham into strips and mix with mayonnaise, chopped tomatoes, radishes and spring onions.
• Cream cheese, cucumber and salmon on a bagel.
• Hummus, bean sprouts, finely chopped celery or peppers, grated carrot or beetroot on rye bread.
• Cooked ham, mature cheddar or Gruyere, tomato slices, lettuce, onion rings and grainy mustard.