You Will Need
- paint roller and paint tray
- pre-mixed filler such as Mendall 90
- 60- and 100-grit sandpaper
- Plascon Floor Paint
One of the main reasons why paint peels off a concrete floor is because it was painted too soon. Even if you follow the correct steps, the paint won’t adhere if the concrete hasn’t cured properly. It’s best to wait at least a month before you paint a new floor. If the floor is outdoors, wait until after the rainy season, and should a few drops of rain fall, cover the surface with a plastic sheet to ensure good results.
- Use water-based products – this prevents moisture from being trapped in the concrete.
- Duram Roofkote roof paint also works well for surfaces that get a lot of foot traffic.
- To paint a garage floor, remove all old stains, grease and other dirt with Aquasolv Degreaser and a hard broom. Spray the surface clean with water and give it at least 24 hours to dry thoroughly.
Words: Karin Cronjé, Home
Images: Francois Oberholster