Cape Town-based hair experts, Style Bar Squad, suggests: ‘To start, brush through hair to untangle any knots so you have a smooth surface to work with. If you have a natural wave or curl – great!
‘If you don’t, use your curling iron/flat iron and do some rough curls. They don’t have to be perfect, because the look you want is tousled – the messier the better.’
- Use a sea salt spray on mid-lengths to ends.
- Allow the spray to dry before running your fingers through your hair.
- Use your hairdryer on medium power and medium heat, gently scrunching the hair with your fingers.
- Pull the hair over your shoulder, and start braiding weaving in the sections tightly.
- Secure with a clear elastic; mist braid with a light- to medium-hold hairspray.
- Lastly, gently tug braid and pull out a few strands for a lived-in look.
Our Top Picks:
Pieces In Place
Words: Kelli Clifton, Fairlady
Image: Anèl Van Der Merwe, Fairlady