Fitness guru Valerie Orsoni has some great tips and tricks to get you feeling positive about getting fit.
1. Take a moment out of your day to visualise yourself achieving your fitness goal. Visualisation has the power to convince your mind and boost your motivation.
2. Don’t keep any temptations in the refrigerator. If you do, you are likely to crack. Out of sight, out of mind!
3. Always make resolutions you LIKE. For instance, if you hate jogging, don’t decide to go jogging 5 times a week. Instead, choose an activity that you enjoy, like swimming, dancing or Tae Bo.
4. Use simple motivation techniques, like keeping your running shoes with fresh socks next to your bed. This way, when you wake up you won’t have excuses like ‘I can’t find my shoes’!
5. Avoid making too many resolutions. This may make you too anxious and you might end up doing nothing. A suffocating environment is of no help to your confidence and motivation. Make ONE major resolution, two minor ones, and five that are easy to do.
6. Reward yourself as you achieve success and celebrate your ‘new self’ by spending a special evening with your partner, or out with girlfriends. When you feel great about how you look in your clothes, you are bound to feel exuberant and upbeat!
7. Post your past successes in a prominent place where you can see them. This is an incredible motivational technique to get your mind in the ‘I can do it’ mode.
8. Wear a bracelet to remind you of your goals. You can keep it simple – a string of colored thread will do. Each time you look at it, you will be reminded of all the effort you have invested towards your weight loss goals and will be motivated to continue on this path!