• 500g pork fillet (or free-range chicken breasts), thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
For the marinade:
• ¼ cup fish sauce
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 4 stalks lemon grass, tough outer leaves removed and very finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tbsp sesame oil
For the dressing:
• ½ cup white wine vinegar
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• 300g flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles), cooked according to packet instruction
• 3 large carrots, finely grated
• 3 sticks celery, finely sliced
• 6 spring onions, finely sliced
• handful coriander leaves (optional)
• ½ cup cocktail peanuts
1 Mix the fish sauce, turmeric, lemon grass, garlic and sesame oil and toss with the pork. Marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
2 Simmer vinegar and sugar, uncovered, until the sugar has dissolved.
3 Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat, add the pork and stir-fry until golden brown and just cooked.
4 Divide the noodles between four bowls, top with some carrot, celery and spring onions and then some of the pork. 5 Spoon 2–3 tbsp of the dressing over each salad, sprinkle with peanuts, garnish with coriander and serve immediately with extra dressing on the side.