• 2 tbsp butter
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
• 3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
• 3 bulbs beetroot, parboiled and thinly sliced
• 3 eggs
• ½ cup cream
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves picked, plus extra to garnish
• 100g goat’s milk cheese or chevin, crumbled
• sea salt and black pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat a frying pan, add the butter and 1 tbsp olive oil, and allow to melt. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute, then add the sliced potatoes. Stir well to combine, sauté for four minutes or until golden, remove from the pan and season well.
2 Place the eggs and cream in a jug, beat well to combine and stir in thyme leaves. Season to taste.
3 In a separate, greased oven-proof frying pan, cover the base with a layer of the potato and beetroot slices, crumble over a little goat’s milk cheese, and repeat until all the potato, beetroot and cheese have been used. Pour over the egg mixture and season. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove, allow to cool slightly, and serve garnished with fresh thyme leaves.
Text and image source: Fairlady