Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Oven temperature: 200°C
• 30ml sunflower oil
• 500g ostrich mince
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 green and 1 red pepper, cut into small cubes
• 3 jalapeño chillies, chopped
• 25ml Mexican spice rub
• 1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
• 300ml frozen corn
• 1 can kidney beans, drained
• 30g fresh coriander, chopped
• 1 box or packet of nacho chips
• 125ml grated low-fat cheese
• guacamole and salsa, to serve
1 Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof casserole. Brown the mince over a high heat, then remove from the casserole and set aside.
2 Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan and add the onion. Sauté for one minute, then add the garlic, peppers, chillies and the spice rub. Sauté for two minutes, then add the tomatoes and return the mince to the casserole.
3 Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the corn and the kidney beans and simmer for another five minutes. Add the coriander and season to taste.
4 Spread the nacho chips over the top and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the nacho chips are crisp. Serve with guacamole and salsa.
Text and image source: Ideas magazine